Caillou Fandom and Hatedom
Caillou (pronounced Kai-You or Kai-U) is a Canadian educational children's television series that was first shown on Teletoon, with its first episode airing on the former channel on September 15, 1997; the show later moved to Treehouse TV, with its final episode being shown on that channel on October 3, 2010. The series is based on the books by Hélène Desputeaux. It centers on a 4-year-old boy named Caillou who is fascinated by the world around him. The series made its debut on PBS Kids on September 2000. The series was produced by Cinar (later Cookie Jar Entertainment in 2004), and later Clockwork Zoo for the show's 5th and final season. The series is currently owned by DHX Media, and it is known to be one of the most hated little kids' shows because of the title character Caillou having a bad attitude and crying a lot. His actions have caused a very bad hatedom because of that.
NOTE: If you hate Caillou and DON'T have any of these reasons to hate him, we'll respect your opinion.
Why They're Toxic
- It mostly comes from the former Vyond Community. They are mostly UTTP THDTC members.
- There are tons of parenting blogs run by soccer-moms ranting about Caillou on tons of parenting websites (this is your typical example of a hate article). And if Caillou is so whiny, then why are whining about the character and show? Who's the whiner here?
- They make fun of him all because he's bald and they claim that he has cancer, which is offensive to those who have cancer. The reason why he is bald is because the creators of the show thought that he would be unrecognizable if he had hair.
- Arian Foster, who is a hater of the show, said that he can't grow hair because he sucks and his body even knows that he doesn't deserve food or love, which is heartless and not true. And if you were to search "why does caillou have no hair" on Google, at one point it said that Caillou can't grow hair because he sucks, because of the SBNation article! Proof.
- They make crappy Vyond-styled rants on him. Here's an example of what they sound like:
- "Caillou? More like f**k you! Oh my God! This show sucks! It's about a bald-headed kid who goes on failure adventures. Caillou is bald cause he cries all the time. Rosie cries too. Mommy and Daddy don't punish Caillou. And Gilbert? Well, no one gives a f*ck about him. Not two or three, either. Not even (insert a bunch of numbers that will make you go insane). Do you know who likes this show? Dora The Explorer! She wants to join the cast, but she can't because she's not made by DHX Media, and do you know who hates this show? African Vulture! She makes grounded videos out of him! So screw Caillou! And screw Dora The Explorer! Kirby is (inserts a bunch of numbers that will make you go insane) times better than Caillou. End of rant. Next rant, (insert awful movies, video games, characters, or tv shows)." -typical GoAnimate-Styled Rant
- They make Facebook communities like "I Hate Caillou" which is immature.
- They make bad "Free Like" videos where all it ever shows is Caillou or Rosie crying and they expect you to laugh and like the video.
- They bash on the series' movie Caillou's Holiday Movie a lot, and they think it's the worst Christmas special ever, when it's not, because there are way worse Christmas movies like Gummibär: The Yummy Gummy Search For Santa, Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas, etc. TheTopTens hates this movie JUST because it's Caillou-related, proof. Many people haven't checked out the movie because it's actually pretty good. Also, one of the haters (KB336SM909) made a lie on one of his "vyond-styled* rants. he told Caillou got coal in that movie, that is not true, n the movie, he got a spaceship instead of coal. He really needs to rethink his mind!
- They call him a rip-off of Charlie Brown which is not true because in Peanuts, Charlie Brown doesn't have parents but in Caillou, he does. There are also several other reasons as to why Caillou is not a Charlie Brown rip-off.
- Rosie has a hatebase that is just as bad as Caillou's, she is hated for crying and such, which are dumb reasons to hate a character. As of 2018, they make tons of grounded videos out of her on Vyond. So that Rosie is the grounded target and not Caillou anymore.
- One of the most prevalent "reasons" for the hatedom is just because he threw a temper tantrum in the episode "Caillou Joins The Circus."
- A bunch of Enterbots make a bunch of godawful Animated Atrocities notebooks out of him who take cartoons way too seriously, here is an example.
- They wish he was to be sentenced to capital punishment/death penalty.
- TheTopTens users make bad top 10 lists out of Caillou like Top ten characters who should spank Caillou, Top ten reasons to hate Caillou, Top Ten Video Games Caillou Would Die and so on. If they find out that you like him, they will react like this: "O o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o oh! F**k you for liking Caillou! F**k u for saying that 'The Simpsons' is worse than Caillou. 'The Simpsons' is way better that Caillou! F**k you for having a different opinion on him."
- They bully people who like the show and character.
- Whenever Caillou gets hurt, they will laugh at him and say something like "You deserved it b***h!".
- They also hate Barney and Friends, Dora the Explorer, Dragon Tales, Yo Gabba Gabba!, Go, Diego, Go!, Oobi, Postman Pat, Handy Manny, JoJo's Circus and any other shows meant for younger children when in reality, some can be good.
- They send out angry messages, destructive criticism and even death threats to the creators of Caillou (Christine L'Heureux and Hélène Desputeaux).
- The hatebase caused Vyond to remove the non-business themes because of all the grounded videos about not just him, but several other shows.
- They treat him as if he came from the pits of hell.
- Cringeworthy hateart such as "Lincoln Loud and His Sisters Hate Caillou".
- They make grounded videos, punishment day videos and assaulting videos out of him on Vyond and Plotagon. The CGG, CGPD, and CGA videos also makes Boris, his dad, abusive to him unlike the real show.
- Bad jokes, like this one
- They sometimes start protests and force PBS to take the show off the air and go as far as sending DEATH THREATS to them.
- Many of them are from the Arthur Fandom and the Rosie (Caillou) Fandom.
- Before Rosie became the grounded target, when Caillou was the target, she was an unlikable Mary Sue to a ton of Vyonders and someone even made some pictures on DeviantArt, like Rosie framing Caillou for breaking the wall, and Rosie laughing at Caillou after he got his butt slapped.
- They bully people who like the show and character and will eventually call you a "retard".
- They also think Caillou is on the naughty list. Even worse, they also think he got coal!
- A few people even compare him to Adolf Hitler, and some even say he's worse than that evil Nazi. How is being a brat even comparable in the slightest to killing 11 million Jews, Slavs, Romanis and homosexuals? He's just a four-year old fictional character! Some of the comments on this thread provide evidence for the existence of this comparison.
- They even think He sucks at piano
- The hatebase is slowly dying and decaying as of 2017, which means no more abuse or hateful memes of him either. Even though the hatedom is still standing, it's not as rabid as it was before back in 2014-2016
- Many users (including ALR247 (formally known as Go!Thug247) have since stopped making bad videos of Caillou as of 2017. One example is Rosie, who's stopped making grounded videos to like to her channel.
- The MLG/YTP (YouTube poop) videos are hilarious.
- Some "Caillou gets grounded"-type videos have at least some effort/thought put into them, like this one.
- African Vulture made a VERY awesome Caillou video that doesn't involve him getting grounded. See it here.
- The first result you find on Google for "why is Caillou bald" comes from the official Caillou creators and not from a rabid hater.
- Some people hate Caillou reasonably and don't act like this nor take him so seriously. One example is that some peoples hate the episodes from seasons 1-3 due to their lack of education, showing Caillou with his whiny, tantrum-ridden behavior that often comes without consequences, unlike many baby shows like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Ni Hao Kai-Lan, etc., which are really educational.
- At least the rabid hate art isn't very gory or bloody.
- At least some of the haters respect opinions.