The Emoji Movie Hatedom
AMW is a 2017 American 3D computer-animated comedy film directed by Tony Leondis and written by Leondis, Eric Siegel and Mike White, based on emoji faces, smileys and graphics used in electronic messages. The film centers on Gene, a multi-expressional emoji who lives in a teenager's phone, and who sets out on a journey to become a normal meh emoji like his parents. It was produced by Sony Pictures Animation and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing under the Columbia Pictures label.
When the film's teaser trailer debuted, it received wildly harsh criticism from social media users and audiences, and when the film was released, it was widely panned by critics and audiences alike, which led to a very toxic and memetic hatedom.
Why They Keep Making The Wrong Face
- Many of them are from the Sony Pictures Animation Hatedom since the studio itself produced this film. In fact, they're the ones that started this whole riot against Sony Pictures Animation all because of a movie they didn't like. It doesn't help that some went as far as to send death threats and very destructive and harsh criticism to the staff behind SPA just because of the movie.
- Speaking of which, they tend to overlap with the AniMat Fandom mainly because AniMat himself hates this movie, as well as Sony Pictures Animation.
- They also overlap with The LEGO Movie Fandom, the Inside Out Fandom, and the Wreck-It Ralph Fandom due to many people claiming The Emoji Movie ripped off the other aforementioned movies.
- They cannot take criticism or handle different opinions on the movie. They will call anyone who like The Emoji Movie "autistic", which is insulting to autistic people. They will also block, harass, and then false report on anyone who likes the movie, and to make matters worse, they even wish death upon these fans and tell them to drink bleach.
- They never treat The Emoji Movie like it's an actual movie. Instead, they call it "the end of the world", "Satan rising from hell", "the apocalypse starting", "World War 3", "Friday the 13th (the day, not the movie) lasting forever", or "September 11, 2001 all over again".
- Many sections of comments from videos like "Top 10 Worst Movies of 2017", "The Worst Animated Movies in History", etc., are full of repetitive and annoying comments saying things like "I knew that The Emoji Movie was going to be number 1" , "I miss The Emoji Movie", etc.
- It's so terrible that even the hatedom knows how toxic it is, yet it can't stop itself.
- They caused massive damage to the movie, cartoon and meme communities for all of these reasons.
- People spread rumors that claimed that the Popeye movie was cancelled because of The Emoji Movie, even though the movie's production was halted because of story problems and Genndy Tartakovsky left the project.
- Loads of hate art and hate memes about the movie like this one.
- There's also a bunch of hate videos about the movie on the internet, which includes a lot of whiny rants on the movie and Sony Pictures Animation. There's even grounded videos made out of some of the characters from the movie, mainly Gene.
- They even celebrated the fact that it won four Golden Raspberry Awards, taking home Worst Picture, Worst Director (Tony Leondis), Worst Screenplay (based on a trend of emojis), and Worst Screen Combo (any two obnoxious emojis).
- Many of them went berserk over these three reasons about the movie:
- They went mad when the movie grossed $217 million worldwide and surpassed its $50 million budget. Technically, they wanted the movie to be a box office bomb, which would've damaged the financial reputation of Sony Pictures Animation. However it did briefly held the record for the worst opening for a film in over 4,000 theaters, until it was surpassed two weeks later by The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature, which had an opening of $8.3 million from 4,003 theaters.
- They also overreacted when the movie was nominated at the 2018 Kids' Choice Awards for "Favorite Animated Film" and they thought it was going to win that award, even though Disney/Pixar's Coco won that award.
- They were also disgusted when they found out that a man from New Jersey was pleasuring himself during a showing of the movie and got arrested for it. Yes, what that man did was disturbing and uncalled for, especially during a screening of a family film, but that does not affect the quality of the film.
- Many people hate the movie simply because it has emojis.
- Another reason they hate it is because Patrick Stewart voiced a poop emoji.
- Several people wanted Sony Pictures Animation to close down all because they made this movie!
- They also even threatened to raid and destroy Sony Pictures Entertainment all over one movie, which would get them arrested by paying millions of dollars in damage and would also have them take responsibility for the countless lives of all the people who work at Sony Pictures, and they would be sentenced not only to just life imprisonment but worse, this can also get them sentenced to death!
- And as mentioned above, they sent death threats and harsh criticism to the staff of Sony Pictures on social media, which is very unnecessary and immature.
- Heck, even AniMat was toxic about his hatred for this film. He insulted the people who gave The Emoji Movie a chance just months before it was out. Not only that, but he wanted Sony Pictures Animation to close down just because he didn't like the film nor did he like 2 other Sony productions, the Hotel Transylvania franchise and the Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs franchise.
- Many believe that 2017 is the worst year in history only for this movie.
- Some are part of the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Fandom because both films are made by Sony, Donald Trump Hatedom all because of THIS as well as manchildren, the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Hatedom because some of the voice actors in the Japanese dub of The Emoji Movie have JoJo voice actors as one of the main cast (In fact, they used to be former JoJo fans, but lost their minds when that happened), and the Inside Out Fandom because of how they keep chastizing on The Emoji Movie.
- Many have regarded 2017 as one of the worst years in cinema history solely because of this movie when there are a lot of good films that were released that year (depending on your point of view) such as:
- The Shape of Water
- Get Out
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- The Florida Project
- Lady Bird
- Call Me by Your Name
- Darkest Hour
- The Big Sick
- The Disaster Artist
- I, Tonya
- Phantom Thread
- Blade Runner 2049
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Baby Driver
- Logan Lucky
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Girls Trip
- No Game No Life: Zero
- Tokyo Ghoul
- John Wick: Chapter 2
- Cars 3
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- The Lego Batman Movie
- My Little Pony: The Movie
- Good Time
- Wonder Woman
- Hypocrisy: Many people hate this movie because of the product placement, yet they like Wreck-It Ralph, The LEGO Movie, and Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, which also have product placement (albeit in a more modest way)!
- Before the movie came out, many people were already hating on it.
- They use the infamous "Hollywood ran out of ideas" excuse.
- They call it 'cancer' which can be offensive to those who have cancer.
Maybe A 👍 is Appropriate After All
- Some haters like I Hate Everything and Nostalgia Critic are nice and give regards to differing opinions from others. And they don't immaturely, constantly or unreasonably bash the movie unlike the rest of the haters do.
- They do have a point about The Emoji Movie being a bad movie and have some good reasons to hate it. Examples include a very predictable and a formulaic plot, flat characterization, overuse of product placement, Hi-5's subplot being overshadowed completely by Gene's, very unfunny jokes, etc. However it doesn't excuse their toxicity though.
- They also have a point that the film used bad marketing such as the now-deleted promotional image of Smiler that spoofed the Hulu series The Handmaid's Tale, which was a really bad choice to market the film because of the themes of the aforementioned series and the seemingly blatant misunderstanding of them, as well as the fact that it was marketed towards a family film. You know, for kids.
- They are right that the man from New Jersey shouldn't have pleasured himself during a screening of the film, as there were most likely children present, but that still does not effect the quality of the film though.
- Some of them (mainly the Sony Pictures Animation haters) calmed down after the release of the first trailer of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse and most of them eventually calmed down after the aforementioned movie was released.
- Not all of them sent death threats to the staff of Sony Pictures over this movie.
- Some of them can respect positive points of view of the film.
I HATE THE EMOJI MOVIE I Hate Everything's rant on why he hates The Emoji Movie.