Moana (Disney) Fandom and Hatedom
Note: Not to be confused with the beachside suburb of Adelaide, the settlement on the West Coast, the suburb of Nelson, the fungus, or anything like that.
Moana is an American 3D computer-animated musical adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures in 2016. Being the 56th Disney animated feature film, it centers on the titular character, the strong-willed daughter of a chief of a Polynesian village, who is chosen by the ocean itself to reunite a mystical relic with the goddess Te Fiti. When a blight strikes her island, Moana sets sail in search of Maui, a legendary demigod, in the hope of returning the relic to Te Fiti and saving her people. The movie has gotten praise for its animation, music, and vocal performances. This movie along with Zootopia lead Disney to mark the first time that Walt Disney Animation Studios released two feature films in the same year since 2002. However, that didn't stop the movie from having a toxic fandom and hatedom.
Why The Ocean Didn't Choose Them For a Reason
- Typical for any fandom and hatedom related to Disney, they ignore the source material by set aside that Moana is based on Polynesian history and origins myths rather than just an original movie.
- It seems like they cannot tolerate different views on the movie.
- They vandalized the Moana page on Wikipedia. Nothing else is needed to be said about this mess.
- Out of all the characters existing in the movie, they literally bow down to Maui like he was a real demi-god. Just because Maui is based on a culture hero who was less of a deity, does not mean that you need to take it too seriously.
- Maui isn't the one who gets exalted, some of the songs featured do such as You're Welcome and Shiny. Adding these layers of cakes for the fandom's toxicity might result in them watching the movie just to see Maui and the songs in order to set aside the story.
- Because of both Moana and Zootopia being both animated feature films released in 2016, they would often start warfare against each other. The same can be said about some of the Moana fans starting bad blood with the Frozen fandom and the Tangled fandom since Tangled, Frozen, and Moana are GCI Disney movies that feature female leads.
- Speaking of Frozen, many of them hate Frozen just because it's popular and it hogs the spotlight for Moana according to them.
- Some are part of the WWE Fandom due to Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock voicing Maui.
- When the movie got removed on Netflix, they started to riot over its removal on the said streaming site. They went as far as writing this petition as well as some more petitions. Well, at least you can watch it on Disney+.
- Bad ships are still seen in this fandom such as Moana x Maui. Even though Moana is supposed to be 16 and Maui is an ageless demigod. Another one would be Maui x Tamatoa which is considered bestiality since Tamatoa is a giant crab while Maui is an ageless demigod (not to mention that Tamatoa is an antagonist).
- Even Moana isn't safe from Elsagate videos as well such as Moana drinking from a toilet. (Yeah, not making this up it can still be searched up).
- When it was announced that a possible Moana sequel could happen alongside a possible Latina princess for the sequel. They started to complain about the possible Latina princess simply because they think that the said princess would possibly be the main star instead of Moana when there isn't an official teaser trailer or whatever else shown. Besides, the sequel is just a possibility and Moana could still be the main character even if we get a new character.
- They like Polynesia just because of Moana. Really now, there is more to Polynesia than Moana. If you were to study more about Polynesia, then you would know that it's not really like Moana. Hell, they also appear in the comments section on anything related to Polynesia.
- They complained about Moana and Maui being removed in Disney Infinity. They would even get pissed off that Disney Infinity got discontinued and would do things such as this.
- There are a ton of fangirls populated in the fandom. And yes, they see this movie as a miracle rather than an actual movie. It's fine to like a movie but know the difference between liking and exalting.
- Fangirls are not the only ones who would join the fandom, fanboys as well since some of them would treat Moana herself as a real girlfriend/wife when she's only fictional. Also, keep in mind that she is only 16 years old which is still considered ephebophilia.
- They made some clickbait related to Moana 2. It's all found on YouTube if you were to search up Moana 2 or anything like that.
- A select few of the fans would never shut up about when a possible Moana sequel will finally come to existence.
- Why don't you go read this terrible conspiracy theory as seen here.
- Edgelords are somehow present because of Te Kā due to the appearance of her.
- Many complain about how the movie's setting is ambiguous rather than taking place in a specific South Pacific place since it uses cultural elements from multiple places such as Hawaii and Samoa.
- They are mostly toxic Zootopia fans and toxic Frozen fans. All is said.
- Even the Frozen fanbase referred to Moana as "Frozen without snow".
- They use the "it's for girls" excuse. Yep, we bet you saw that coming. Just because the main character is a female, does not mean that it's strictly for girls since boys can also watch it as well. Some, however, are fine with other media having female leads (basically a female as the main character) such as Powerpuff Girls, She-Ra, The Legend of Korra, As Told By Ginger, The Proud Family, Kim Possible, Kill la Kill, Fate (Series), Aggretsuko, Violet Evergarden, Ghost in the Shell, My Little Pony, RWBY, Tomb Raider, Madoka Magica, Metroid, Horizon Zero Dawn, Xenosaga, Sailor Moon, etc.
- Some used to be former Moana fans until they realized that Auli'i Cravalho (Moana's voice actress) is bisexual. This proves that they are both homophobes and Biphobes.
- Speaking of Cravalho, they feel that she is a poor casting choice for the role since she is mixed where they expect Moana to be played by an actress who is entirely of Pacific Islander descent and that her Pacific Islander blood (being Native Hawaiian) doesn't constitute a majority of her ancestry with a majority being Puerto Rican despite the fact that she is still suitable for the role since she does have a substantial amount of Pacific Islander ancestry that makes up the second amount of her ancestry.
- Although very rare, some made grounded videos out of Moana herself. This used to be an example, but the video has been deleted after the uploader closed their account.
- They call this movie feminist propaganda for whatever reason. (Oh boy, cue the facepalm).
- They dislike the fact that Moana herself is associated with the partnership of Maui (who is supposed to be a hypermasculine male demi-god). Oh come on, do you expect Moana herself to be flawless?
- A few of them dislike the movie just because it had too much singing. This might be rare, but how can singing ruin a movie? Well, unless if the musical numbers are done correctly.
- Moral Guardians and Religious Nut-Jobs would be in the hatedom due to some pagan Gods like Te Fiti, human sacrifice, Te Kā, and that one reincarnation scene in the movie.
- They rioted over the fact that there aren't any light-skinned people in the movie when they forgot that the movie takes place in Polynesia. What were they thinking?
- They would call this movie satanic or the illuminati. Boy, it sure makes you want to laugh for hours!
- Some don't like the movie just because of the way it looks (Google Play is a good example). How can you not like the movie if you only see footage of the film? They also use unconstructive criticism of the movie by only saying things like "Moana SUCKS!!!!!!!"
- Some only hate the movie just because Dwayne Johnson was in there. One voice actor isn't enough to ruin a movie you know?
- They are also nostalgia-tards who prefer Disney Renaissance movies. ToonEGuy is among them.
Maui: What can I say except, you're welcome. To the lucid fans and haters!
- You can still find some wise fans and haters of Moana still.
- Some understand that the movie is based on Polynesian history and origins myths. They would also appreciate it.
- Like any fandom, you can still be able to see good artwork, cosplays, funny memes, and covers.
- Some are patient for a possible Moana sequel and could give the possible Latina princess a chance to shine.
- Some get along with fans of Tangled, Zootopia, and Frozen (they could like these movies). If not, some may have legit reasons to not really enjoy the said movies
- Some are fine with Disney Infinity being discontinued.
- Some may have fair reasons to not like the movie since not everyone has to like it.
- They may have a point about Dwayne Johnson appearing in some bad movies such as the 2017 Baywatch movie or Planet 51. Besides, no one is perfect.
- Not all of them are offended by things like reincarnation, the female main character, or whatnot.
- They do have good arguments on some of the movie's downsides such as Pua having less screen time or Hei Hei being pointless to the film's plot.