Shin Megami Tensei Fandom
Shin Megami Tensei is a Japanese media franchise created by Kouji "Cozy" Okada, Kazuma Kaneko, Ginichiro Suzuki, and Kazunari Suzuki. Primarily developed by Atlus and owned by Sega currently. It consists of subseries and covers multiple role-playing genres including tactical role-playing, action role-playing, and massively multiplayer online role-playing. The first two titles in the series were published by Bandai Namco (then Namco), but have been almost always published by Atlus in Japan and North America since the release of Shin Megami Tensei. For Europe, Atlus publishes the games through third-party companies. The series was originally based on Digital Devil Story, a science fiction novel series by Aya Nishitani. Most Megami Tensei titles are stand-alone entries with their own stories and characters. Recurring elements include plot themes, a story shaped by the player's choices, and the ability to fight using and often recruit creatures (demons, Personas) to aid the player in battle. Elements of philosophy, religion, occultism, cyberpunk, and science fiction have all been incorporated into the series at different times. It's highly popular in Japan and maintains a strong following in the West. It was praised for its artistic direction, challenging gameplay, and music. Sadly enough, the fandom is still toxic.
Why They Aren't Hee Homeboys
- They tend to take hatred to the Persona games way too much (mainly Persona 3,4, and 5). Even though that SMT would have never been brought back if Persona 3 through 5 didn't do so well. They even think that Persona made SMT dead despite that Persona is a spin-off of SMT.
- As a result, they start warfare with Persona fans. Not to mention that SMT fans would stereotype Persona fans such as calling them waifu freaks, weebs, or circle-jerkers when not all Persona fans are like that (one hate meme like this is enough).
- Some of them are edgelords who try to be edgy be playing the game. The reason behind this is because many of the games are rated M for Mature.
- Just be careful about giving negative criticism or saying that you prefer Persona over SMT. If you do, things will get ugly (even if it's healthy behavior). Especially with the latter case. In fact, they'd probably say "GET GUD".
- They would deny their toxicity by becoming cyberbullies themselves or go pin the blame on a user who started the toxicity. Just look at the comments section.
- There's always fights between which SMT game is the best. You see, what this does is divide the community into many different subsections. They ruthlessly and aggressively attack other games in the franchise to defend each of their own personal favorite like it’s their hill to die on.
- They have double standards that are just as clear as glass. When asserting the "superiority" of their favorite game, they do a deep analysis of the features to make it appear as a certain game is a masterpiece compared to all others. However, when a different game is presented in the discussion, they barely skim over the elements and deem it inferior by making weak conclusions.
- To add another layer to the cake, people who immaturely support one of the games will do anything to nitpick on the elements from another SMT game.
- It's full of elitists who always want SMT to be on their own image and comes up with these beliefs:
- The story and the characters have to be flawless: If they were to spot any flaw in a story or character, things will get ugly. Plus, we can't make the game a mary-sue/gary-stu feel.
- I like a certain SMT game better than the other, therefore the other SMT game sucks. Oh boy, cue the facepalm.
- If the game isn't a masterpiece, it's just bad.
- Ever since the announcement of Shin Megami Tensei V, they are very impatient on when it would be released and tried to force Atlus to bring the game. Just read the comments on Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei V official announcement. They are also super worried about the possible cancellation of SMT V (even though Atlus said that SMT hasn't been canceled.
- When the YouTuber DidYouKnowGaming? released a Did You Know Gaming episode featuring Gaijin Goombah, they started to chastize Gaijin Goombah for being the narrator and not talking about SMT: Digital Devil Saga. They even mock Gaijin Goomah by calling him a weeaboo which gets annoying afterward.
- In audition, they can be pretty heartless towards other SMT players in the comment section on YouTube such as saying things like "whoever made this should be dragged out into the street and shot" (not making this up, the comments can prove it).
- Back when Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem (now known as Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE) came to existence, they were happy at first. However, they started to be ungrateful as time went by. They went as far as thinking that Atlus is trolling the fans just because of how it looked nothing like Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem according to them thus blaming Atlus for the atmosphere the crossover game had (the toxic fans used cringey insults such as "J-Pop trash" or "waifu bait"). You can't just run Atlus. Besides, be glad you got a game that did well after all.
- When WatchMojo.com released Top 10 Shin Megami Tensei Heroes, they started to whine about Joker being on the number one list instead of Demi-fiend. Do you know why? Because Joker is a character that appears in the Persona series (Persona 5 to be exact) and the immature SMT fanboys riot over Persona.
- It's typical for them to ignore the fact that SMT's source material for the series being originally based on the Digital Devil Story novels by Aya Nishitani.
- They actually see themselves as true Atlus fans just because they like SMT in general. Listen closely because a mature Atlus fan would enjoy and appreciate what kind of franchise Atlus would come up with and would maturely dislike or like a game without being selfish.
- They would sometimes look down or spoil to newcomers of the SMT series. This is because of how they act as seen in this visual representation.
- Some can either enjoy all SMT in a mellow manner. If not, some may have honest reasons as to why they may dislike other SMT games.
- In addition, not all of them dislike Persona. Some may enjoy it or some can also have real reasons as well.
- Some are patient for SMT V.
- They may have a point that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE does lack some Fire Emblem related content. Though that does not mean that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is bad (though not everyone has to like it).
- They still make some well-done artwork and cosplays.
- Some can tolerate other people's viewpoints towards the SMT series.