Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ironic Fandom and Hatedom
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the fifth game in the Super Smash Bros. crossover fighting game series released on December 2018. This game features a few new characters consisting of The Inklings from Splatoon, Daisy from Super Mario, Ridley from Metroid, Simon Belmont from Castlevania, Richter from Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening, Dark Samus from Metroid Prime, Isabelle from Animal Crossing New Leaf, Ken from Street Fighter and Incineroar from Pokemon Sun and Moon. It also features new and returning features such as Stage Builder, Spirits, World of Light, New Assist Trophies (Like Bomberman, Squid Sisters from Splatoon, Spring Man from ARMS, Knuckles from Sonic, Tiki from Fire Emblem (her Adult Tiki form from Awakening), Shovel Knight, Rhathalos from Monster Hunter and many more), a roster that shows all past fighters, a lot of returning stages, some new stages such as New Donk City from Super Mario Odyssey, new items like the Black Hole and The Fake Smash Ball, a lot of new music arrangements, Squad Strike, Tourney, All-Star Smash, Century Smash, Smashdown and Nintendo Labo VR. It also features DLC newcomers which so far consists of Piranha Plant from Super Mario, Joker from Persona 5, The Hero(es) from Dragon Quest (Eleven from Dragon Quest 11, Eight from Dragon Quest 8, Solo from Dragon Quest 4 and Arusu from Dragon Quest 3), Banjo and Kazooie from Banjo-Kazooie, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses and a Unknown ARMS Character. While this game was critical acclaim, it spawned an ironic fandom and hatedom.
Why Both Sides Are Ultimately Toxic and Should Be Vaporized By Galeem and Corrupted by Dharkon
- Both are part of the Masahiro Sakurai Ironic Hatedom
- Some of them can't tolerate different opinions at all.
- They don't just like the game, they glorify it like if it were a "gift from God".
- Some of them would even pummel previous Super Smash Bros. games, mainly Super Smash Bros. 4 simply because it was the most overlooked game in the series.
- They treat most of the Echo Fighters a lot worse than before, with Lucina, Dark Pit, Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus getting the most hate.
- The new character reveals trailers released a lot of anger as much as what 3DS/Wii U did.
- Starting off with Daisy, many of them hated Daisy simply because of their hatred to Princess Daisy herself or they wanted her to not be an echo to Peach. This is why ZERO people like the Princess Daisy Hatedom. And don't get us started with the Waluigi Fandom.
- Chrom was even worse when most of the fans raged like manchildren saying "No More Fire Emblem Characters" which is stupid since Chrom was highly requested (Especially from the Japanese fans) and the fans have double standards. That right there is extreme hypocrisy.
- Much worse was when Isabelle was announced, they raged even more simply because of how she does not have fighting experience and since Sakurai mainly wants to focus on the most wanted characters according to them. Hey you idiots, just because Sakurai said that does not mean he will add every most wanted character like Geno. It's his game and that is that. This is Nintendo we're talking about and you selfish elitists want badass and most wanted characters when Sakurai has the right to put whatever character he wants as long as it makes sense.
- When Incineroar was announced, many of them were overreacting simply because they wanted Decidueye instead or they were taking the infamous Grinch Leak way too seriously.
- When the Piranha Plant got announced as the first DLC, it shares similar problems with Isabelle only worse. See the Piranha Plant Ironic Fandom and Hatedom page for more info.
- When Joker got announced as the first DLC fighter that would be featured in the Fighters Pass, many of them would be like "Who is that bastard", "No more anime", "I want *insert character here* which is disrespectful to Persona fans and it has a fair popularity. It gets even worse when some would go as far as wanting The Joker from Batman to replace Joker from Persona 5.
- When the Hero got announced, many of them were making excuses like "We don't need any more sword fighters" which is just stupid. Also, many of them were part of the Kingdom Hearts Fandom and Hatedom who would think that Sora would be a better choice than the Hero, which does not make sense since Sora is owned by Disney. Some would even go as far as wanting Goku from DragonBall in Super Smash Bros. instead of the Hero without realizing that Goku is not a video game character, he's a manga/anime character.
- When Banjo and Kazooie were announced, the Steve (Minecraft) fanboys were triggered to the point where they would call Banjo fans "Nostalgiatards" or "Furries", which is just stupid. same could be said about the Master Chief Fans.
- When Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury was announced as a DLC character, he has gotten some responses such as "Who is he? We don't know this looser" thus treating Sans (was a mii costume) as an actual fighter. They also said that he did not deserve to be playable which is just stupid.
- To add more power to this fandom, they had gotten REALLY out of hand when Byleth was announced as a playable character in Smash (the backlash was more powerful than Corrin's announcement back in Smash 4). In fact, they even tried to dislike bomb Sakurai's livestream (even though it has more likes than dislikes). This video can expalin.
- This game generated more leaks than before. Even the ones that don't make sense or sound unconvincing. What makes it worse was when YouTubers like Lax Chris, Papa Genos and Blocked Content would talk about them. Especially Lax Chris good golly.
- Speaking of leaks, when the infamous banner leak, also known as The Grinch leak came to existence around late October 2018, there was a war on social media platforms that showed a hateable war involving team real vs team fake. After the November Smash Bros direct showed Ken (he was in the leak) and Incineroar instead of the characters on the leak (Isaac from Golden Sun, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven, Geno from Mario, Shadow from Sonic and even Banjo-Kazooie, who later got announced as the third DLC in E3 2019), the fandom somewhat calmed down into peace.
- When the Assist Trophies were announced, it would generate more hatred and more anger than before when they would see an assist character who caused more controversy. Especially both Waluigi and Shadow.
- The Character Inclusion Wars
- Whenever someone requests certain characters that will fit in the series such as:
- More Fire Emblem Characters
- More Mario Characters besides Waluigi
- Phoenix Wright
- Bandana Dee (Even though he’s highly requested)
- Professor Layton
- Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch
- Plusle and Minun from Pokémon
- Captain Toad from Super Mario
- Arle and/or Amitie from Puyo Puyo
- Mitsurugi from Soul Calibur
- Mach Rider
- Lip from Panel de Pon (Mii Costume and Spirit)
- Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog
- Bubblun from Bubble Bobble
- any Rhythm Heaven character (Such as Karate Joe) and so much more...
- They will disrespect your opinion. Ironically enough, some want unlikely characters like:
- Sans (Mii Costume)
- Cuphead (Mii Costume)
- Heavy Weapons Guy
- Scorpion from Mortal Kombat
- Son Goku
- Steve from Minecraft
- Master Chief
- Jotaro Kujo
- Kratos (God of War)
- Freddy Fazbear
- Call of Duty soldier etc.
- If you ever try to say why the unlikely characters are unlikely, they will attack you.
- Whenever someone requests certain characters that will fit in the series such as:
- They spam many memes such as "Woomy" (Inkling Girl), "Looking Cool Joker", "guh-huh" (Banjo), "Hoes Mad" (Hero, Terry & Byleth), Plant Gang (Piranha Plant), "Are you okay?" (Terry), "Thwack" (Hero), memes related to Sans (because of the mii costume), Gun (Joker), "EGG" (Incineroar), and many others to the point that it will get on your nerves.
- They HONOR King K. Rool, Wolf, Inkling Girl, Richter, Isabelle, Zelda, Pichu, Piranha Plant, and even Banjo and Kazooie like they are Gods.
- They would never stop talking about unlikely characters in Smash.
- Some of the players are even tryhards who take competitive Smash too seriously. They basically expect other players to play competitevly.
- They would look down at new and younger players.
- Speaking of opinion disrespecting, some would go as far as treating their opinions as facts.
- Many of them are part of The Meme Community. It's safe to say that they also damaged The Meme Community as well.
- They take character hints way, way too seriously! What we meant is that you have those idiots who would think that anything is a Smash Bros. Newcomer hint. One example was when people would think that Shantae is going to be playable all because of this window that looks like a Smash Ball. Seriously guys, it's just a window, why go nuts over a window. In fact, stop saying that anything Nintendo related or Sakurai related is a hint to a new character joining Smash. Even Sakurai said that he has frequently received responses about Smash Hints according to fans which is just as annoying as the so-called "JoJo references".
- Recently enough, when Sakurai's pose was seen in the thumbnail of the upcoming Livestream for the announcement of the fifth DLC fighter for the Fighters Pass. They stupidly make up theories such as how Sakurai's pose is a reference to Crash Bandicoot or a Three Houses rep like Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude (Since Sakurai has 3 fingers showing). Byleth was confirmed from the theory.
- Don't EVER think about going to see what kind of stages fans make in Stage Builder, the in-game screenshots in Smash World, or Miis. Most of the shared stuff is either perverted, immature, or downright stupid respectively.
- They keep saying “EVERYONE IS HERE” which at this point is getting incredibly annoying.
- Overusage of the World of Light deaths.
- They only play the game just for the memes instead of the actual game itself.
- Before the game was released, there were several YouTube Channels leaking gameplay footage and World of Light cutscenes around November. We are not making it up.
- Much like the Avengers: Infinity War Fandom, they overreacted to the World of Light deaths as well as some of the deaths in the character reveal trailers like Luigi's death in Simon's and Richter's trailer. Sure it was surprising, but they take it way too seriously.
- Some would think that the World of Light deaths as well as the character reveal trailer deaths are funny. While it is true that they are not brutal, the deaths are still not even funny. Also, some of the character reveal trailer deaths like Mario's and Mega Man's death are more brutal than the ones in World of Light so there is no need to make fun of deaths. Even if it's fictional.
- Much like the Mufasa and the entire cast of JoJo fandoms, some of them would even cry immaturely when the characters die in World of Light.
- They somehow believe that two of Banjo & Kazooie's alternate costumes (Color 3 and Color 6) resemble Jotaro Kujo (Color 3) and Dio Brando (Color 6) from JoJo! What kind of madness is this? Also regarding the alts, Color 3 of Banjo & Kazooie is supposed to reference Bottles the Mole (Banjo) and one of Kazooie's alts in Banjo-Tooie's Squawkmatch, not Jotaro! Also, color 6 is supposed to be a reference to one of Banjo's possible colors in Banjo-Tooie's Squawkmatch while Kazooie is based on Terry the pterodactyl. Not Dio! And don't get us started with the "IS THAT A MOTHER F**KING JOJO REFRENCE" crap.
- Two words: Melee Purists. Is there more to say?
- They hate it simply because of online mode. just because one mode is bad does not mean the game is bad.
- Some of the haters treat traditional fighting games like Mortal Kombat as if they were a gift from god.
- They hate it because it's popular. This doesn't make sense, because the popularity of a game does not dictate its' actual quality.
- This boring rant.
- They hate it because of its flaws.
- Some used to like the game until controversies like Waluigi returning as an Assist Trophy made some players hate Smash now.
- They hate it because of the fandom.
- Around late September, a Playstation YouTuber named "#PS5MasterRace For Life" made fun of a Super Smash Bros player named Chris Taylor who died at age 21 from cancer. This goes to show you about how the Sony Interactive Entertainment fandom can have some of the worst fanboys. The video was so bad that even some of the PlayStation fans hated it. Many have begun to feel sorry for Chris Taylor even more, and many have sent horrible messages (even if that’s not constructive criticism) to #PS5MasterRace. That video was taken down and the original channel was terminated.
Ultimately Redeeming Qualities That Give Them Spirits
- Some are sane and mature fans and haters who respect opinions.
- Not all of them hate Sakurai.
- Some have good reasons to like the game.
- A lot of wholesome fanart.
- Some memes can be funny.
- Not all of them want unlikely characters.
- Not all of them believe in leaks.
- Not all of them take Smash way too seriously.
- They paid their respects to Chris Taylor. A Super Smash Bros. player who died of cancer.
- At least it isn't the worst part of the Super Smash Bros Fandom, if we compare them to Melee Purists, then they would be the minority.
- They do have a point about the fandom.
- The fandom is much worse.
- They do have a point about the game's flaws.