The Discord Community
Discord is a proprietary freeware voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) application designed for gaming communities, that specializes in text, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and in web browsers. As of May 2018, there are 130 million unique users of the software.
Why Most of them are Toxic
- It is filled with users with hostile behavior, as well as those that abuse within chats, with some of the communities of chat servers being taken over by a large number of users by others.
- They flood controversial topics related to race, religion, politics, and, worst of all, pornography and gore.
- Some of the users post NSFW content like porn, hentai, Rule 34, and worst of all: child pornography/pedophilia. In a few cases, they get away with it without punishment.
- Luckily, channels can be marked as NSFW.
- Some users try hard to be edgy and hip in many servers.
- It is notorious for its alt-right popularity, which are groups that consist of white supremacists/white nationalists, neo-Nazis, neo-fascists, neo-Confederates, KKK members, Hitler supporters and other far-right fringe hate groups.
- Even though many alt-right servers were taken down by the Discord staff, there are still alt-right users.
- It has many Social Justice Warriors and can come from the The DeviantArt Community and TheTopTens Community.
- It also has toxic anti-sjws.
- It made a few good communities become toxic, especially those that are in The Gaming Community.
- Some people create drama and go as far as completely damaging your reputation and sanity, to the point that you are forced to leave. The Splatoon Fandom is a notable example which does this practice.
- The staff consist of the dark side of The Furry Community.
- It also has toxic anti-furries.
- They treat Discord like if it was a religion.
- Some of the users are actually kind of nice.
- Not all servers are bad and a few have good moderation on what is allowed and bans content that isn't allowed.
- Many alt-right servers were later taken down by the Discord staff.
- It has some mature users that can respect opinions.
- There is some servers that are actually against both the alt-right and alt-left.