Unicorn Fandom and Hatedom
Unicorns are mythical creatures that are known for being magical, can produce rainbows, can sometimes fly, but most importantly, it's horn which is the most noticeable feature. Its physical appearance is based on a horse and a pony. They appeared in numerous pop-culture, especially on the fantasy genre; and they can be classified as the symbol of purity and grace. Since April 2017, the unicorn trend has gone massively viral, spawning numerous videos and merchandise related to them. And as usual to most trends, they both attracted a toxic fandom and a toxic hatedom.
Why They're Toxic
- They're part of My Little Pony, Unikitty and Rainbow Butterfly Unicorn Kitty, Pokémon, Digimon, Adventure Time, Regular Show and the Furry fandoms and hatedoms because unicorns (or at least part unicorns) made an appearance in those shows. Just because they appeared in fiction doesn't mean that they actually exist in real life.
- Both often argue about their views of a simple mythical creature.
- Don't go into any unicorn-related things on change.org. There's high chances where you can see petitions about how far their obsessive admiration or obsessive anti-unicorn petitions take on the internet.
- They admire them so much to death.
- Some people treat unicorns and horses as completely separate creatures when in fact, unicorns are based around horses.
- They believe that unicorns are real and even build a shrine dedicated to them. It's very similar to how people believed that aliens exist in Area 51, or how certain communities believe that fictional gods are real, or how Some people believe in false sexual abuse and pedophilia accusations towards a person who was never proven to be a pedophile.
- They created many false theories about them that can easily be debunked.
- There is even a TheTopTens list called Top Ten Reasons Why Unicorns are Better Than People which can be considered pretty ironic, considering that people themselves are mainly the reasons why like these creatures.
- Although this isn't a TopTens list, they also did a similar list on comparing Unicorns to Penguins.
- If that's not enough, there's an article on Buzzfeed made by Aaron Small who created 10 Reasons Why Unicorns Make The Best Pets which is already bad enough just by looking at the title.
- It flooded YouTube filled with unicorn related videos such as toy channels, "sightings" videos, 3 AM videos, and other sorts of clickbait videos back in 2017.
- Like the Minions Hatedom and the Pokémon Hatedom, they hate it because it's found everywhere especially on stores such as Typo.
- They hate it as well because they think that unicorns are too "girly" and "overrated". To top it off, some of the haters are Edgelords.
- There's even some hate communities that exist such as the Anti-Unicorn Squad. In fact, there's even hate art of them such as this.
- They call the unicorns and the fans "cancerous" or "autistic".
- They are cyberbullies and homophobes as well since they believe that having a passion for unicorns makes you gay. To make matters worse, they constantly compare the LGBTQ flag with unicorns and rainbows.
- They also made a hate blogs that compares unicorns with businessmen and designers. Seriously, what do unicorns have to do with businessmen and designers anyways? And why are unicorns used as a metaphor for people who don't do a good job on their work?
- Not all of them behave like this. Some are chill and rational to others.
- Both of the fandom and the hatedom died as of late 2017, however, it did not stop a few people.
- Some people are aware that Unicorns did originate from horses.
- Some people do know that they only exist in fiction and not in real life.
- The haters do have a point of how toxic the fandom can be.